Re: Character set specification

From: Dominique HazaŽl-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: 27 Jun 2003 17:54:48 +0200
To: Olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Cc: Philip "TAYLOR [PC87S-O/XP]" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>, www-validator@w3.org, software-questions@infoseek.com
Le mer 25/06/2003 ŗ 22:02, Olivier Thereaux a ťcrit :
> Either it's too early for me to understand or there's something wrong
> here... I don't see how setting up the charset served could possibly
> result in a 406. Maybe you changed something else in the setup?
>
> Anyone having any idea to explain this situation?

IMHO, the client (the search engine bot) is confused by the parametrized
mime-type. The HTTP/1.1 RFC does indeed allude to such a broken
behavior:
" Unfortunately, some older HTTP/1.0 clients did not deal properly with
an explicit charset parameter"
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec3.html#sec3.4.1

I don't know how configurable IIS is, but the only solution I see to
that would be not to send the character set parameter to the search
engine bot (which should be easy to identify with its User-Agent
header), while sending it to any other user agent.

(user agent sniffing is usually bad, but it seems here like a fairly low
level sniffing that shouldn't cause too many problems).

Dom
W3C/ERCIM
mailto:dom@w3.org