RE: Beta Validator usability suggestion

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 20:53:14 +0100 (BST)
To: "Denis Boudreau [ CYBERcodeur.net ]" <denis@cybercodeur.net>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Denis Boudreau [ CYBERcodeur.net ] wrote:

> >  I think it would be most helpful if the people who find the error
> >  messages confusing/lacking in user friendlyness would actually post
> >  the exact error message and also include a new suggested text.
> >  The people most likely to phrase the messages 'better' may not be the
> >  people who work on the validator.
>
> Actually, this is a great idea. I'll try to come up with some of my own.

I expect the users who find them seriously confusing would struggle
to do that.  Users capable of making a useful contribution, please do,
and join the debate on #validator!

In view of the reawakening of this perennial thread, I've just posted
the ParserMessages source file I use for Page Valet[1].  Many of them
are James Clark's originals, but I've given some thought to improving
those which feature in validator reports. This, or something similar,
could be dropped straight in to validator.w3.org.

[1] http://valet.webthing.com/page/

--
Nick Kew

In urgent need of paying work - see http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html