Re: default charset broken

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 16:39:11 -0400
To: Karl Ove Hufthammer <karl@huftis.org>, www-validator@w3.org

At 18:50 03/06/07 +0200, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:

>Terje Bless <link@pobox.com> wrote in
>23]:
>
> > Yes, well, in the interest of full disclosure, let me add that
> > another significant factor in the Validator's current
> > behaviour is that the HTTP defaulting behaviour is considered
> > harmfull to i18n and all those users for whom iso-8859-1 is
> > insufficient.

That was a factor when creating HTML 4, not really for the
validator, which just follows HTML 4 in that respect
(and the relevant RFC for XML, which also contradicts HTTP).

>Well, even if those users have no control over their servers,
>there are no problems, neither in theory nor in practice, to use
>characters not in ISO-8859-1. They could always use numeric
>character references (which work better anyway).

Would you ever want to try to edit a Japanese Web page with
numeric character references? Why would they work better
in such a case?

Regards,    Martin.