default charset broken

From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@ifi.uio.no>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 13:23:17 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org

I maintain a small mostly static site.  the pages used to validate
fine, but in your latest update of the validator you ignore the HTTP
RFC and broke the charset detection.

I hope you can fix this.  it would be sad to have to remove the link,
since I think the validator has been a good incentive for following
and for promoting standards.  but when the validator itself breaks the
standard, there isn't much point ...

(please CC me any responses, I haven't joined the list.)
--
Kjetil T.