Re: validator does NOT validate XHTML 1.0

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 00:44:00 +0200
To: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

* Nick Kew wrote:
>On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Houghton,Andrew wrote:
>
>> Thus, the DCMI Web pages essentially use the "nil" namespace rather than
>> the default xmlns= namespace.
>
>Nope.  The xmlns attribute is declared #FIXED in the DTD, so it's there
>in any XHTML document using an XHTML 1.0 DTD even if you can't see it.

Not for non-validating XML processors. Note that the common
implementation of XHTML is via non-validating XML processors, IIRC early
versions of Mozilla and Opera with XHTML support did not even support
entity references like &ouml; for this very reason. One could read the
conformance section in a way that the xmlns attribute must be specified
in the document. I remember that several people asked the HTML WG for
clarification on this but I do not remember any answer.