Re: http-equiv="refresh" redirects ignored in markup validator

Lars Holst wrote:

> [snip]

> >Not sure about this either. If someone tries to validate a file, the
> >validator should probably validate this file, not whatever it refreshes
> >to after n seconds (I know, the case n=0 is a limit case but better
> >forget this practice anyway).
>
> Why? The redirect is there for a reason, right? I really don't see why it
> shouldn't follow it.

OK, you have a refresh with period zero (which doesn't work
reliably, so a period of one second would be better), and
you would like the validator to validate the page /after/
the refresh/redirect has taken place.  Supposing that the
page to which you redirect has a further refresh/redirect,
this time with a delay of two seconds; would you like the
validator to validate /that/ page rather than either of
the first two ?  And if that page too has a refresh/redirect
with an even greater delay, would you like the validator
to follow that one as well ?  If so, what is your cut-off point ?
How long should the delay be in a refresh/redirect before you
don't expect the validator to follow it ?

> I do appreciate your pointer, but I'd be even more grateful for a link to a
> page that actually explains the HTTP-based feature that I should use.

You will need to be aware of which server you are using; for at
last three common server, there was already a link to the documentation
for that server in the original answer to which you refer; if you
are using a less-common server, you will need to consult the
server documentation.  For a simple overview of what your
server will need to accomplish (but with no guidance as to how
to achieve it), see

	http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html#sec10.3

Philip Taylor, RHBNC