Re: Markup Validator validates sites on IP addresses which are not globally valid

From: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>
Date: 16 Jul 2003 22:10:27 +0300
To: www-validator@w3.org

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 11:58, Jordan Gordeev wrote:

> I think that validating sites on IP addresses, which are not globally
> valid(IPs used only on
> LANs or as loopback addresses), should be
> forbidden as this might cause confusion to users of the validator that
> accidentally enter invalid IP addresses and might
> lead to security isues with people trying to steal information from the
> W3C network.

Agreed; the following comment (by yours truly) has been in the validator
source code for some time now, but nobody has picked up the task yet:

  # @@@FIXME@@@:
  #   Disable checking if the URI is local (or private) for security reasons,
  #   or at least make it configurable to do so.

Flat out refusing to validate anything from these addesses is not an
option; I bet one of the top reasons to download and install a local
instance of the Validator is to be able to validate documents that the
public one at validator.w3.org can't access.

I'll try to look into this.  Thanks for the feedback,