Re: Bug in validator?

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 21:30:26 +0100 (BST)
To: Chris <cearle@smythco.com>
Cc: <www-validator@w3.org>

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Chris wrote:

> We removed all the "/>" and it validated but also if I remove the /'s
> from the Increase/Decrease/Rollback, then the page is valid (by the

That means you're unintentionally using abbreviated markup, and the / is
ending an element (maybe a paragraph).  Look at the validator's parse
tree, or the "visual" representation at http://valet.webthing.com/page/

> validator). Also, I have been using the <br/> standard in my previous
> pages as well and they have all validated.

for the wrong reason.  That's one of the problems with something as
messy as HTML "transitional".

Nick Kew

In urgent need of paying work - see http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html