RE: Intranet Validator?

Asbjørn Ulsberg <asbjorn.ulsberg@nrk.no> wrote:

>Nick Kew wrote:
>
>>>I'm interested in the same thing, and I've been in contact with Terje
>>>Bless about the problem,
>>
>>(Terje is normally around on this list, but I think he may be on the
>>road just now).
>
>Ok. I hope he gets back to me on this one, then.

Well, I did tell you to bug me about if you didn't hear anything in a while.
:-)

>>It's not in the current beta update.
>
>Why not? Isn't it about time we get this kind of interface for the
>validator?

Sure, way past time too; it's just a matter of finding the time to actually
work on it. There has been little progress on this the last few months and I
don't want to speculate on when I can find the time to work on it more
actively again. But I'm still intending to work on it eventually so...

>>It's two years since I first offered a similar XML-based service
>
>Jeez. Why haven't it been icorporated into the validator yet?

Nick misunderstood you. What he developed was XML _output_ from our underlying
SGML/XML Parser, not a SOAP (or equivalent) interface for _input_ to the
validator. We do have the option of returning XML from the Validator (by
transforming the original text output from the parser) and I believe our needs
would be better served by developing a native XS interface to the parser then
by mucking around with parsing Yet Another Text Format (the XML); which is why
we're not using Nick's XMLMessageReporter patch.

This XS interface is, BTW, one of the things that sucked up my time for
working on the SOAP interface. If I can get that to a usable state it will
likely form the basis for a refactoring of the Validator (into modules) that
would enable SOAP, and other, frontends to the validator much more easily in
the future (not to mention making it easier to develop custom in-house
applications based on it).

But again, it's all a matter of finding the time to work on it. Mine has been
desperately scarce lately and I have no definite schedules for when the
situation might improve. Most likely I will take a couple of weeks of vacation
time at some point in late autumn to work on this and other projects (the 0.7
release of the validator, amongst them). But no promises...

BTW, you ran into trouble using the file upload interface from Visual C# (or
was it Visual Basic?) on Win32, right? Perhaps someone on the list has some
sample code they might share for this?

- --
Terje, you are a sick and twisted individual, and I
think I speak for all of us when I say, "Thank you!"

               -- John Gruber <gruber@barebones.com>