Re: XHTML vs. <meta>-only encoding declarations

* Terje Bless wrote:
>>>Given the Content-Type of text/html, I would say the CSS Validator is
>>>in error here and should be amended to either pay attention to the
>>>position on the HTTP vs. HTML vs. MIME defaulting rules is).
>>>
>>>Granted XML rules suggest UTF-8 or -16 for this case, but as it's
>>>served as text/html -- e.g. Appendix C rules -- these do not, IMO,
>>>apply.
>>
>>But the MarkUp Validator honors the XML declaration in such documents...
>
>So it does, but I'm inclined to consider this a bug where text/html documents
>are concerned. And note that it only considers an explicitly given encoding
>from the XML Declaration and does not apply XML defaulting rules here.

That's inconsistent as it is inconsistent to honor both, the meta
element and the XML declaration, they are mutually exclusive. XHTML user
agents must ignore the meta element and HTML user agents must ignore the
XML declaration, the Validator conforms thus to neither of the
specifications. The MarkUp Validator even honors the XML declaration for
text/html delivered *HTML* documents, see

  http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.bjoernsworld.de/temp/wrong-encoding.html

... Maybe I should bring this issue up to the HTML WG?