Will the link checker download the file of the link when I am using GET ?

From: Centaur zeus <perseus_medusa@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 03:50:23 +0000
To: www-validator@w3.org

Hi all ,

    I am now using and is using the method GET. I think that it
would download the whole file when it check each link (as opposed to HEAD).
But I use a testing file with an <a href> pointing to a very large file, but
it can be completed very quickly. So I am not quite sure about if I am
right. Please advise.