Re: What is "-//W3C//DTD HTML//EN" ?

From: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>
Date: 25 Jan 2003 13:37:22 +0200
To: Frederic Schutz <schutz@mathgen.ch>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org, Adam DiCarlo <adam@onshored.com>

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 02:30, Frederic Schutz wrote:

>    -- generalized HTML reference, meaning 'latest HTML recommendation' --
>    --   aka, what is published at http://www.w3.org/TR/html --
> xml/1.0/xhtml1-strict.dtd
> xml/1.0/xhtml1.dcl
> xml/1.0/xhtml1-strict.dtd
> xml/1.0/xhtml1.dcl
> Is there anything wrong using these ids, or are they just "non-official" ?

Well, by putting "W3C" in the id's, they're basically saying that
they're from W3C, which AFAICT is not true.  "-//Debian//DTD HTML//EN"
would be ok.

Personally, I don't see what good would using such a generic "latest
HTML recommendation" public identifier be, IMHO the following blurb at
the top of the documents is roughly equivalent to it.

  This document has not been written to conform to the constraints of
  any specific DTD; the author is just trying to say she claims that
  it's always up to date with the latest recommendations.  YMMV.

Oh, and asking this on www-html@ would probably be a good idea.

\/ille Skyttä
ville.skytta at iki.fi