Re: What is "-//W3C//DTD HTML//EN" ?

From: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>
Date: 25 Jan 2003 13:37:22 +0200
To: Frederic Schutz <schutz@mathgen.ch>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org, Adam DiCarlo <adam@onshored.com>

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 02:30, Frederic Schutz wrote:

>    -- generalized HTML reference, meaning 'latest HTML recommendation' --
>    --   aka, what is published at http://www.w3.org/TR/html --
> PUBLIC   "-//W3C//DTD HTML//EN"
> xml/1.0/xhtml1-strict.dtd
> DTDDECL  "-//W3C//DTD HTML//EN"
> xml/1.0/xhtml1.dcl
> PUBLIC   "-//W3C//DTD XHTML//EN"
> xml/1.0/xhtml1-strict.dtd
> DTDDECL  "-//W3C//DTD XHTML//EN"
> xml/1.0/xhtml1.dcl
>
> Is there anything wrong using these ids, or are they just "non-official" ?

Well, by putting "W3C" in the id's, they're basically saying that
they're from W3C, which AFAICT is not true.  "-//Debian//DTD HTML//EN"
would be ok.

Personally, I don't see what good would using such a generic "latest
HTML recommendation" public identifier be, IMHO the following blurb at
the top of the documents is roughly equivalent to it.

<!--
  This document has not been written to conform to the constraints of
  any specific DTD; the author is just trying to say she claims that
  it's always up to date with the latest recommendations.  YMMV.
-->

Oh, and asking this on www-html@ would probably be a good idea.

--
\/ille Skyttä