Re: HTTP header 'Accept' should be sent by Validator

From: Tom Pike <tom.pike@xiven.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 17:58:28 +0000
To: Tim Bagot <tsb-w3-validator-0007@earth.li>
CC: www-validator@w3.org

Tim Bagot wrote:
> At 2003-01-10T06:06-0000, Tom Pike wrote:-
>

>>The validator does not seem to send an 'Accept' HTTP header.
>>
>>Therefore any code which checks the Accept header to determine what type
>>of document to send will assume that the validator doesn't accept
>>documents of the type that they are checking for (in my case
>>application/xhtml+xml).
>

> It doesn't make much sense to me for the validator to use content
> negotiation. I'd normally want to validate a specific file (and typically
> each variant in turn), and the server should make each variant available
> on its own URI.
>

> Tim Bagot

Yes actually now that I think about it, it does make a lot more sense to
do it that way.  I'm now doing things a little differently.

Also I wasn't aware that sending no Accept header is equivalent to
sending "*/*;q=1.0" (didn't spot that in the HTTP specs) so this entire
thread is somewhat irrevelant anyway.  Sorry about that.

--
Tom Pike
tom.pike@xiven.com