Re: iso_8859-1

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Anton Gombkötö wrote:

> Hello!
>
> That's the problem:
> http://www.avenum.com/Net.Data/nosuchmacro
>
> My server - an IBM iSeries - is sending "iso_8859-1" instead of the more
> popular "iso-8859-1".
>
> It's not >me< sending this, it's IBM. (The page in the above link
> doesn't actually exist - it's the very default error message by IBM.)
>
> I contacted IBM, as i thought it was a typo, but it isn't. They chose
> iso_8859-1 for whatever reason. IT IS VALID. Little me couldn't convince
> them that they make it unnecessarily hard for the machine in the www.

http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets

says:

Name: ISO_8859-1:1987
[RFC1345,KXS2]
MIBenum: 4
Source: ECMA registry
Alias: iso-ir-100
Alias: ISO_8859-1
Alias: ISO-8859-1 (preferred MIME name)
Alias: latin1
Alias: l1
Alias: IBM819
Alias: CP819
Alias: csISOLatin1

You might want to ask IBM why they're not using their own IBM819
designator, which is an equally valid alias.

The preferred MIME name is clearly indicated, and HTTP uses MIME...

cheers,

L.

<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/><L.Wood@ee.surrey.ac.uk>