question on validating links from databases

From: Pamela K Peters <pkpeters@unlnotes.unl.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 12:16:50 -0600
To: www-validator@w3.org
When using the W3C MarkUp Validation Service I receive errors on my files
because of the URIs from database pages. Since using a database is quite
prevalent, could the validator be written to ignore the href="....."
string? The file, except for URIs is compliant, so the "This page is not
Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional!" is not correct.

Example from my file:
49: <a
href="http://telecom.unl.edu/equipment/equipment_director.asp?cind=1&grp=Telephone"
class="leftnav">Telephone

Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML
parser.
Line 49, column 74: cannot generate system identifier for general entity
"grp"
...ipment/equipment_director.asp?cind=1&grp=Telephone"
class="leftnav">Telephone
                                          ^

Line 49, column 74: general entity "grp" not defined and no default entity
(explain...).
...ipment/equipment_director.asp?cind=1&grp=Telephone"
class="leftnav">Telephone
                                          ^

Line 49, column 77: reference to entity "grp" for which no system
identifier could be generated
...ipment/equipment_director.asp?cind=1&grp=Telephone"
class="leftnav">Telephone
                                             ^

Line 49, column 73: entity was defined here
...uipment/equipment_director.asp?cind=1&grp=Telephone"
class="leftnav">Teleph..

Thank you for considering this.

Pamela K. Peters
University of Nebraska - Lincoln