Re: Todo list

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Terje Bless wrote:

> If the content fails to make it through in any browser then
> _please_ tell me about it! It is expected that some things
> will fail to work 100% in (mainly) older browsers, but a
> significant design goal is that the main content should come
> through no matter what.

Some minor observations following this line:

© and ® don't work with Netscape 2.02 (3.x), this
also won't work with 4.61, but we already agreed to ignore all
"4.x" browsers... ;-)  You could use the decimal notation for
copyright (©) and reg. trademark (®) on the result
page.

Unfortunately both browsers are also too stupid for “
and ” (4.61 knows “ resp. ”), maybe use
something like...

...identified istelf as <em>Strict HTML 2.0</em> and...

...or similar (only <q> isn't enough, that's the same problem

BTW, I have only one "HTML 2.0 Strict" page, because I wanted
to test the wonders of short tags.  Normally the result page
proposes an icon like http://www.w3.org/Icons/valid-xhtml10,
but for strict 2.0 I had to find a corresponding icon manually:

<URL:http://validator.w3.org/images/vh20>.

> Is there a problem viewing the site in Netscape 3.x then?

Fragments like "Skip Navigation" or "Results" don't work (same
problem with 4.x), because there is only an id= (but no name=).

http://validator.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/ipr-notice#Copyright
is apparently broken, dito: #Legal_Disclaimer, #W3C_Trademarks

> Specifics, man. Specifics! :-)

Try <URL:http://validator.w3.org/checklink>, they've even got a
nice bugzilla... ;-)

  [fragments]
> I'm still thinking about what policy to take in general on
> this.
[...]
> This either does not follow from the previous discussion or I
> am failing to understand it.

My idea was to add a _similar_ function like ",tablin" for the
missing name= attributes, it's simple enough for awk. I would
then add e.g. ",stoneage" to the URLs and get name= in addition
to id= (or even &#1234; instead of &#x04D2;) automatically.

But these are all minor issues, I'm much more interested in a
way to suppress the source output for erroneous pages.  This is
almost a feature, if the result page needs more than 3 seconds
to load, then your validator has found some errors and echoes
the complete source, maybe trying to punish me... ;-)

                     Bye, Frank