Why a difference in the way a page is validated when uploaded vs. URL given?????

From: Beard, Michael <beardm@lit-mail.lamar.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 10:18:02 -0600
To: "'www-validator@w3.org'" <www-validator@w3.org>
Sirs,

   I validated a page called 'intro.htm', giving the URL
'http://bcis.lamar.edu/intro.htm <http://bcis.lamar.edu/intro.htm> ' and the
page validated the <html> down to the <font color=""> tag.  The <font
color=""> tag is the first tag giving an error.  In all, 9 errors were
shown.
   When I tried to upload the same file from my harddrive, the validator did
not give the 'Revalidate' button, said the <html> tag was in error, and gave
a total of 31 errors.
   Why the difference?  The results should be the same, no matter if the
page is referenced as a URL or as a file uploaded to the Validator.  Please
respond in a timely fashion.

Michael D. Beard
(409) 839-2915, beardm@lit.edu <mailto:beardm@lit-mail.lamar.edu>
Instructor I, Business & Computer Information Systems, Supervision,
Lamar Institute of Technology