Re: Help from validator?

From: Martin Klaffenboeck <martin.klaffenboeck@gmx.at>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 11:37:41 +0100
To: Olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Cc: Martin Klaffenboeck <martin.klaffenboeck@gmx.at>, www-validator@w3.org

Am 2003.02.20 04:59 schrieb(en) Olivier Thereaux:

> Greetings Martin.
>
> On Thursday, Feb 20, 2003, at 08:41 Asia/Tokyo, Martin Klaffenboeck
> wrote:
>> It seems, the validator is a good thing to create valide (x)html
>> code.  But does the validator really say how the most used Browser
>> (Internet Explorer) behaves if my code is valide?
>> [snip]
>> What do I have to do now?  And whats the validator for?  Seems the
>> validator does not really help in web design.
>
> Whose fault is it if a browser renders a good page badly?  It could
> be the browser vendor which shipped a buggy product. It could also
> be, in all honesty, the groups which designed HTML and CSS and made
> it difficult to implement. Could be.

Yes, thats possible.  But the thing is, we have to create website for
people and not for a validator.  What does it help me when I use a
valide stylsheet, which works on galeon well, but not on Internet
Exporer.

I think we have to create websites for the Browsers to show it
correctly and not only vor validation.

There is a question:  Does Internet Explorer really try to use the w3
standard?

> As for bugs in implementations of W3C standards, W3C itself doesn't
> track them, but you, as a customer, can complain to vendors about
> it...

What does that mean.  Is there anywhere a website where i can see how
the w3 standard differs from the IE interpretations?

Martin