validator error?

From: Joseph Konczal <joseph.konczal@nist.gov>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 16:03:08 -0500
To: www-validator@w3.org

I tried to look at one of my division's web pages
(http://www.itl.nist.gov/iad/programs.html) using Mozilla, but it did
not look right.  I thought standards compliance might be considered more
important than accomodating a raving open source fanatic, so I ran the
HTML validator on the page.  I was required to select the version of
HTML to validate against, since it was not specified in the page.  I
tried a number of HTML versions, with ISO-885901 encoding, and was
surprised by the results.  The first three results made sense, assuming
that the document used new features that were not present in the earlier
versions of HTML.  However, it seems odd that there are fewer errors
reported for "HTML 4.01 Strict" than for "HTML 4.01 Transitional."  In
any case, it looks like enough errors for my purpose.

Doctype                   Errors
HTML 2.0                  208
HTML 3.2                  165
HTML 4.01 Transitional    162