Re: CSS: An invalid XML character (Unicode: 0xa0) was found

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 17:23:39 +0100
To: spam@bittersweet2.com
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

www-validator-css@w3.org is the appropriate list...

>I'm working on a test site for an ISP, and for some reason, the CSS
>validator comes up with a wierd error.
>
>The site:
>http://testing.worldwithoutwire.com/
>
>CSS Validaton link:
>http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-
>validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%2Ftesting.worldwithoutwire.com%2F&warning=1&profile=css2
>
>The error:
>Please, validate your XML document first!
>Line 116
>Column 22
>An invalid XML character (Unicode: 0xa0) was found in the element content
>of the document.
>
>But, I already sent it through the HTML validator, and it came out as clean
>XHTML Transitional.  The line it points to has just a single </div> tag, so
>I'm a little confused.

This could be seen as a bug in the W3C MarkUp Validator; you did not
specify the character encoding in your XHTML, nor does you web server
send an appropriate charset parameter in the HTTP header. You encoding
is declared using <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" ... /> but this is not
sufficient for XHTML documents.