Re: Validator install on Linux (Slackware)

Hello Olivier

On Thursday 04 Dec 2003 10:27 am, you wrote:
> Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome :-)

> > I've just successfully completed a local installation of the release
> > version of the Validator running under Apache on Linux (Slackware 8.1).
>
> Excellent. Did you run into any kind of problem?

No problems really.  It was just took a bit of time to figure out what to do
with the various downloads from the Validator source page, and then watching
the web server error log to figure out what I'd got wrong.

But someone more familiar with the Validator might well want to improve on my
setup.

> > I made notes on the installation process, and if these are likely to be
> > of any help to anyone else I'd be pleased to supply them (just a plain
> > text file at the moment).

[snip]
> If you could post it to the list, I am certain it would be very useful.
> If you don't mind, I would actually like to include it into the
> validator's documentation.

If these are any use, you are welcome to use them in any way, but as I said I
am a newbie on this so there may be better ways of doing things, and as this
is running on a firewalled intranet I've not really looked at the security of
this setup.

Anyway with that said, here are the notes I made ...

W3C Validator installation
--------------------------

These are brief installation notes based on installing the Validator code
onto a Linux system (based on Slackware 8.1) with Apache 1.3.x

These notes assume:
- you know how to configure a new virtual web site in Apache, and will be
installing the Validator files in the document root of the new site.
- you do not need instructions on obtaining and installing Perl modules.

Your need:
- The W3C Validator source tarball and the DTDs tarball (validator.tar.gz and
sgml-lib.tar.gz) from the W3C Validator site
- The OpenSP SGML/MXL Parser
- Apache 1.3.x
- Perl with the modules shown below

Preparation
-----------

Obtain the OpenSP source tarball from http://openjade.sourceforge.net
Once you've unpacked the source, the install process is the standard
 ./configure
 make
 make install

Install (or update if necessary) the following Perl modules in this order...
 CGI.pm
 HTML-Tagset
 HTML-Parser
 MIME-Base64
 URI
 libnet
 Digest-MD5
 libwww-perl
 Set-InstSpan
 Text-Iconv

Installing the Validator
------------------------

Create a new virtual website.

Unpack the Validator tarball to a temporary directory, then...

- Move all the files and subdirectories from [tempdir]/validator/htdocs to
the document root of the virtual site

- Move all the files from [tempdir]/validator/httpd/cgi-bin to the document
root of the virtual site

- Copy the uncommented lines in [tempdir]/validator/httpd/conf/httpd.conf to
wherever you have the Apache configuration for the virtual website, adapting
all the directory references to reflect the paths used in your installation.

Restart the web server to activate the updated configuration.

Unpack the DTDs tarball sgml-lib.tar.gz to a suitable location such as
/usr/local/validator

Copy all the .cfg files from the [document root]/config directory in the
document root to a new subdirectory of /usr/local/validator called config

Copy header.html and footer.html from [document root] to a new subdirectory
of /usr/local/validator called htdocs

Make the directory /etc/w3c and create a file called validator.conf using the
file [document root]/config/check.cfg as template.  This file is well
commented.  Make changes to reflect where files are in your installation.

You can now delete the [document root]/config and [tempdir] directories.

Check it out!
-------------

Point your browser at the new virtual site.  Check the error log of the
webserver to get clues on what may be wrong if you get any server errors.

HTH

- Nick

--
Nick Talbott, Powys County Council (UK)
IT Policy and Strategy Manager/Rheolwr Polisi a Chynllunio TGCh

email:	nickt@powys.gov.uk
fax:	01597 824781
web:	www.powys.gov.uk and www.powysweb.co.uk