Validation result uri link encoding

From: <martin@lucas-smith.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 13:06:11 +0100 (BST)
To: www-validator@w3.org

[Sorry if this has been asked before, but the list search didn't show up a
similar enquiry.]

Three points of feedback:

1) I notice that the validator and the beta version v0.6.5 [Beta #1], in
the section:

"If you would like to create a link to this page (i.e., this validation

an encoded version of the URL is given. e.g.

Is there any need for this? I.e. couldn't

be used instead? This would seem more intelligible and user-friendly.
Aren't / and : legal characters in <a href= > links?

2) There appears to be a space between check? and uri in the visible
(rather than underlying link) version of this text as it appears. This
makes cutting and pasting into HTML source potentially error-creating if
people don't realise. I don't see any reason for the existence of this

3) The beta is a great improvement. My only comment would be to replace
the mailto: links on the right in fussy mode with a link to a feedback
form, which automatically carries the error number. Presumably you would
also get less spam that way, and not everyone has immediate access to a

In doing this, you could also reduce this very verbose text and arguably
intrusive text box with a simple link saying e.g. "[Feedback - help
improve this error message]" and thereby remove the gray box by putting
this directly after the message itself in square brackets [].

Martin Lucas-Smith  ** www.lucas-smith.co.uk
Cambridge           **