Re: Help Wanted: New Name/Interface for "Fussy" Parse Mode

From: Larry Israel <lisrael@cruzio.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 13:57:17 -0700
To: www-validator@w3.org

Some ideas:
rigorous
perfection
for the perfectionist
strict

On a slightly different issue, I agree with suggestions previously in this
thread that the job of the validator is to check validity. I agree with
the sentiment that if a document validates against the standard, the
validator should says so: This document is Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional
(for example).

I also think the direction this beta is taking of providing additional
suggestions when in fussy mode is excellent! Best practices are to be
encouraged, and the validator is a good tool for educating web authors
about problematic markup.

Given that *both* of the above are my preferred direction of choice, the
fussy warnings:
1. Should not invalidate the document (as stated above)
and
2. Should be considered (worded) to be additional suggestions, tips, or
advice. Ideally, these would be offered in a separate section of the
results. Perhaps this could be similar to the CSS validator's errors and
warnings.

Therefore, these are words that might be used for fussy mode:
(additional/further/with/plus) suggestions/tips/advice

Interface idea (where "O" is a radio button):
O  Check validity
O  Check validity and provide additional suggestions

Or, for short: "Validator" and "Validator Plus."

Larry