Re: Fussy mode (Was Re: [ANN] W3C Markup Validator 0.6.5 Beta #1)

From: Dominique HazaŽl-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: 29 Aug 2003 10:03:59 +0200
To: Olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Cc: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>, www-validator@w3.org
Le jeu 28/08/2003 ŗ 19:49, Olivier Thereaux a ťcrit :
> Terje Wrote:
> > When the W3C Markup Validator is running in ęFussy ParsingĽ mode it
> > will
> > complain about all sorts of things that are technically legal in HTML,
> > but
> > which is known to be problematic in practice and probably not what you
> > wanted.
> >
> > (
> >   For the SGML Geeks among you, this mode disables pretty much all
> >   SHORTTAG features, complains about omitted REFC, requires documents
> >   to be ęFully TaggedĽ, and a few other things.
> > )
>
> I'm tempted to add this or something similar to the documentation, and
> we can link to there from the "note" which appears when fussy mode has
> caught specific "errors".

What about replacing (in this version or the next one) this fussy mode
by something along:
- the validator runs the HTML first in the strict mode
- if it is valid, error detected by the fussy mode are displayed,
labeled as warnings, but the banner still says "(X)HTML Valid"
- for invalid HTML, warnings and errors could be distinguished or not
(needs to see what's the less confusing)

(of course, it's likely that this solution isn't possible for technical
reasons, but just in case).

Dom
W3C/ERCIM
mailto:dom@w3.org