Re: DOCTYPE options on http://validator.w3.org/file-upload.html

From: Frank Ellermann <Frank.Ellermann@t-online.de>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 11:24:14 +0200
To: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

Terje Bless wrote:

> the current beta version will catch this problem

Good, somehow the old behaviour went against my intuition, ;-)

BTW, the test suite /dev/tests/ is fascinating.  Maybe mention
it on a more prominent page like /docs/ or /docs/users.html (?)

I've found an interesting difference between the W3C and the
WDG validators:  In one of my documents I've "included" some
symbolic MathML character entity references.  This worked with
both validators.  I've then changed the URL of the entity sets
to the corresponding validator.w3.org/sgml-lib files, because
I use this directory in all DOCTYPE elements.

I've no idea why some entity sets exist three times there, e.g.

The latter is apparently the file used in the MathML DTD.  But
because I only wanted a quick hack defining some entitities in
an XHTML transitional document, I first tested the version in

The W3C validator accepted this.  But the WDG validator didn't
like the <!ENTITY &imped; "&#x1D543;"> in this file.  I don't
need &imped; in my document and use again the "better" version

For some time the W3C validator did not more accept character
references like &#128; - now this works again (resulting in a
warning instead of an error).  Too late, I finally understood
the difference between &#128; and byte 128 in a windows-1252
document (after two years... ouch ;-)

But if you want a really weird test case with windows-1252
characters and MathML 2.0 entitities in a "compatible" XHTML
document rip <URL:http://purl.net/xyzzy/ibm850.htm>

                  Bye, Frank

P.S.: "compatible" ~ 1.1 + attributes align and name... <gd&r>