Re: Why won't my xhtml validate?

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Jonathan Evans wrote:

> I am re-writing my site (www.cirt.f2o.org) to meet xhtml 1.1 standards.
> Then, I registered my domain name (www.cirt.us), and because my webhost
> doesn't support DNS, I have a "stealth redirect" to my real url. Because
> the "stealth redirect" uses a frame to hide the true URL of my site, I had
> to add a target="_top" attribute to all of my off-site links.
> unfortunately, the w3c validator flags this as an error, even though
> "target="_top" is listed in the "target" module of the xhtml 1.1 specs...
> so why doesn't the validator recognise this? If I remove the target
> attribute, the site validates.

The use of frames is deprecated because it breaks a lot of things.

Better let the real address of your site show, but include a message in
the page content inviting to bookmark the preferred URL not the real
one. Hiding the URL of a site with a frame doesn't give a good
impression to many visitors.

--
Stéphane Gourichon - Labo. d'Informatique de Paris 6 - AnimatLab
http://animatlab.lip6.fr/ - philo du dimanche http://amphi-gouri.org/