Re: DOCTYPE options on http://validator.w3.org/file-upload.html

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> you mean the lack of value="..." attributes in <option>
> elements inside the <select id="doctype" name="doctype">
> element.

Yes.  I tried to verify this locally replacing the original
form by a simple <form action="http://localhost/check">.

But that worked as expected, tests with other browsers worked
too, and finally even tests with Netscape 3.x worked on other
documents.  My first guess (HTML 3.2) was completely wrong.

> I don't think there is any browser that really complies with
> HTML 3.2.

No comment... ;-)  The problem was not the HTML, the browser,
or the POST, it's a weird condition in the validated document
resulting in an error message...

Fatal Error: No DOCTYPE specified!

...not exactly what I expected after manually selecting the
DOCTYPE.  I've now published the "fatal" document as...

<URL:http://frank.ellermann.bei.t-online.de/home/test/x1.htm>

...and the corresponding validator URL with fatal error is...

<URL:http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Ffrank.ellermann.bei.t-online.de%2Fhome%2Ftest%2Fx1.htm&charset=iso-8859-15+%28Latin+9%29&doctype=HTML+3.2&verbose=1>

Of course the document is invalid, that's not the question.

I found it in a mail, and because my browser refuses to display
it I tried to validate it.
                          Bye, Frank