RE: validator does NOT validate XHTML 1.0

From: Houghton,Andrew <houghtoa@oclc.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 07:22:49 -0400
To: "'Nick Kew'" <nick@webthing.com>
Cc: "'Bjoern Hoehrmann'" <derhoermi@gmx.net>, "'www-validator@w3.org'" <www-validator@w3.org>

Thursday, July 31, 2003 6:24 PM, Nick Kew wrote:
> > Thus, the DCMI Web pages essentially use the "nil" namespace rather than
> > the default xmlns= namespace.
>
> Nope.  The xmlns attribute is declared #FIXED in the DTD, so it's there
> in any XHTML document using an XHTML 1.0 DTD even if you can't see it.

I disagree, according to what I read in "Namespace for XML" which
specifically points to the XML specification's attribute section,
it says in "3.3.2 Attribute Defaults":

  "...; the #FIXED keyword states that the attribute must always have
   the default value..."

So I read that as meaning that when you use #FIXED in an attribute
declaration, then you *must* place the attribute in your document
*and* that attribute *must* contain the same value as defined in
the attribute declaration.

Thus, the documents in question fail that test since they omit the
attribute and is why, I believe, that the XHTML 1.0 specification
explicitly says in 3.1.1 (3) says it *must* be declared.

Andy.