Re: HTML validator : learn from Link checker!

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 21:02:30 +0100 (BST)
To: Tony Rogers <azgul@wam.umd.edu>
cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Tony Rogers wrote:

> As webmaster of an incredibly huge site, I found myself wishing that the
> HTML validator had a similar feature.  Does anyone know of a validator that
> can check multiple pages--or, say, all the webpages in a single
> directory--by giving it a single command?

Spidering and instant-response don't go well together.  The downside to
the link-checker is that it's a badly-behaved robot (a well-behaved robot
will limit itself to - say - one URL per host per minute).

The WDG validator[1] offers the option to spider a small site.  I can't
recollect OTTOMH what limits it imposes, but it's something of the
order of magnitude of 100 pages.

If you want to spider a large site, you'll need a well-behaved spider
that collects information in background, offering you the facility
to query it for problems like invalid pages or broken links - or
emailing you a report.  Site Valet[2] offers those capabilities.

[1] http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/
[2] http://valet.webthing.com/

--
Nick Kew