gb2312 support broken?

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 20:15:02 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org
Cc: duerst@w3.org

Hi,

  On [1] the validator tells:

[...]
  Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because on lines 23-26,
  31-32, 35-36, 39-40, 43 it contained one or more bytes that I cannot
  interpret as gb2312 (in other words, the bytes found are not valid
  values in the specified Character Encoding). Please check both the
  content of the file and the character encoding indication.
[...]

I don't think this is accurate, in fact, all tested browsers render the
document as expected, so this is likely to be a bug in either the
validator or iconv().

[1]<http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ops.dti.ne.jp%2F%7Emuttley%2Ftest%2Ftest-2-gb2312.html>