Re: Validating & in urls

From: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 03:08:53 +0200
To: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
cc: Liorean <liorean@user.bip.net>

Liorean <liorean@user.bip.net> wrote:

>On the page <http://liorean.web-graphics.com/>, I have a number of links
>containing javascript: urls that use && in them. When I passed this
>through the validator, it noted all the passages, but still said the
>page was valid XHTML 1.0 Strict.
>Shouldn't this cause the page to be invalid?

No. These are not errors, they're just warnings. The "&" character is
allowed to appear unescaped anywhere it is unambigious in SGML (not in XML,
but you are serving it as text/html). Thus the Validator warns you that the
character "&" is the first character of a delimiter but occurred as data,
but does not otherwise cause your page to be tagged as invalid.

Now Playing "I Loves You Porgy" by "Nina Simone"",
 from the album "Feeling Good - The Very Best Of".