Re: Broken links to privacy statements

Shaw, Michael <michael.shaw@attws.com> wrote:

>Would like to know what is included in the statements.  Are there
>security risks to using the upload function?

Yes. You are sending your data to the validator.w3.org server and must
trust the W3C to not do anythinbg nasty with it and that we maintain
sufficient security that nobody can break into the server to do something
nasty to the pages.

Of course none of these possibilities would actually have to power to alter
the original pages on _your_ server, but if you have any embedded
information that you need to keep private, this issue may be a concern for
you. For instance, I cannot, by law, use the public service to validate the
internal pages at the hospital where I work since the potentially contain
sensitive information.

Not that the legalese in question deals with that though. The documents
referenced mainly just states what you are and are not allowed to do with
the Validator (or rather, with W3C provided software and documents in
general) and that the W3C will not be held liable for much of anything.

It also goes on at some length about what W3C Members and Collaborators are
and are not allowed to divulge to non-Members (a Non-Disclosure Agreement,
in essence).

The links are included there at the insistence of the lawyers and can
usually be ignored by technical folks.

--
Now Playing "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" by "Nina Simone"",
 from the album "Feeling Good - The Very Best Of".