Re: Improper use of "Valid HTML" icons

Per Persson <per.persson@gnosjo.pp.se> wrote:

>Well... I'm not a lawyer, but as far as I can understand, that text
>doesn't forbid you to use the icons on pages that do not validate.

Correct. The W3C is not in the business of providing a certification
programme for web pages. While that would be a usefull service, I'm sure we
would all agree, it is not currently among the W3C offerings.

The "Valid Foo" badges and the Validator are offered as a resource for the
web community. The badges in particular are to be considered a "tool" to
use for web authors to make the assertion that their pages conform to the
given standard. The use of the W3C logo in these badges indicate that the
_standard_ referenced is a product of the W3C (there are also badges for
DTDs/standards from Sun and Netscape with similar terms).

The use of these badges do NOT imply endorsement by the W3C or any
assertion on the part of the W3C or its members. It is purely a means to
identify a particular standard set by the W3C in an assertion made by the
author of the pages in question.

Of course, since the author of the pages probably would not have included
the badge in the first place if they did not believe that Valid HTML was a
desireable goal, sending them polite email pointing out any validation
errors would probably be appreciated. Conversely, if they do not care about
Validity they probably also have no desire to include the badges on their
pages.

--
Now Playing "Work Song" by "Nina Simone"",
 from the album "Feeling Good - The Very Best Of".