Re: bug report (corrected :-)

From: Olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 19:32:55 +0900
To: Kevin McManus <k.mcmanus@gre.ac.uk>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

Hi Kevin.
(thanks for your corrections, I forwarded your mail to the list this

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002, Kevin McManus wrote:
> Hi www-validator@w3.org
> I believe that you have a bug in your validator
> IMHO the 18 lines of valid HTML4.01 at the following URL clearly
> illustrates a bug with nested lists....
> http://staffweb.cms.gre.ac.uk/~k.mcmanus/ListTest.html

The validator is right.

I agree that the HTML spec is unclear about nested lists (only a
deprecated example without closing tags...) but if you look at the DTD
you will see that <ul> does not accept anything but <li> as a child,
hence if you want to nest lists you have to make <ul> a child of <li>,
as in:

This is the proper way to do nested lists in HTML 4.01.

Olivier Thereaux - W3C
http://www.w3.org/People/olivier | http://yoda.zoy.org