Re: Validator fails horribly on ill-formed XMLDecls

Hi Bjoern,

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> The following example document will cause horrible results by the
> validator (note the missing trailing '?' in the XML declaration):

Hmm, indeed, I wonder why the "caveat" disclaimer about XML support is
gone.

> (online demo at http://www.bjoernsworld.de/temp/invalid-xmldecl.html)
>
> First, it doesn't warn about the ill-formed XML declaration, then it
> fails to detect the character encoding and prints out dozens of errors
>   Error: omitted tag minimization parameter can be omitted only if
>          "OMITTAG NO" is specified on the SGML declaration

The dev instance does a "better job", i.e it can't find a charset
(probably because the XML declaration is incorrect), and stops there.
No explicit error about the XML decl, though.

http://validator.w3.org:8001/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bjoernsworld.de%2Ftemp%2Finvalid-xmldecl.html

--
Olivier Thereaux - W3C
http://www.w3.org/People/olivier | http://yoda.zoy.org