Re: Problem using linkchecker in doucment containing <BASE> element

From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@optimalco.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:44:30 -0700
To: Brian Kelly <b.kelly@ukoln.ac.uk>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

scripsit Brian Kelly:
>    I ran the W3C linkchecker on one of my pages, and although the H1 tag
> gave the correct URL, it actually checked the directory above the page,
> which happened to be the <BASE> of the document - see:
> http://validator.w3.org/checklink?uri=http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/web-focus/events/workshops/webmaster-2002/qa/

Actually, it _is_ checking the correct URL -- compare the results of
checking
<http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/web-focus/events/workshops/webmaster-2002/qa/>
directly.

>    Is this a bug?

It sure is, and not just because it's misreporting the URL checked in
the header.  If you follow the `HTML Validity' or `CSS Validity' links,
it hands off the <base> URL, not the actual document URL, to be checked.

--
This e-mail was brought to you by the number e.

Thanasis Kinias
Doctoral Student, Department of History
Arizona State University
Tempe, Arizona, U.S.A.

Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul