Re: Apostrophe Chokes XHTML Validator...

From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@optimalco.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 10:01:01 -0700
To: CSGallagher <csgallagher@REMOVETHISTEXTwi.rr.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

scripsit CSGallagher:

> The XHTML Validator at http//validator.w3.org/check/referer
> does not like apostrophes using either iso-8859-1 or
> UTF-8 encoding. I have also tried to replace the literal
> use of an apostrophe with the character entity &#39;
> but to no avail.

Judging from the presence of

in your markup, I'd wager a MS product produced the text in question.
It may be silently replacing your ASCII apostrophes (') with `curly'
ones, which MS encodes illegally.  Try using a simple text editor to
make them `straight' apostrophes, or use &#8217; (my preferred
solution).

--
This e-mail was brought to you by the number e.

Thanasis Kinias
Doctoral Student, Department of History
Arizona State University
Tempe, Arizona, U.S.A.

Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul