A real validator and the validator online at htmlhelp have a bug in a name

From: Shelomo ben-Avraham <mtr@mechon-mamre.org>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 15:27:58 -0400 (EDT)
To: <liam@htmlhelp.com>
Cc: <www-validator@w3.org>

As I just learned, almost all of the 8000+ files at my site, which I
thought to be valid html 4.01, have errors:

I use spaces in the a name="xxx xxx" as in

and I use numbers as in a name="1" as in

Neither your validators (online or offline) nor the W3C online
validator caught this.  Why are you all not testing for valid data in
the a name="whatever"?  Is this really irrelevant?  I know that the
ie5-6 properly find the names in such references as

in ie5-6, but that it works does not make it legal html codes, does

I thought I could rely on you to tell me when I have errors.

shalom from Jerusalem,