Re: bug in checklink

From: Olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:51:18 +0900
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: Jean Delvare <khali@linux-fr.org>

On Thursday, Oct 31, 2002, at 05:26 Asia/Tokyo, Jean Delvare wrote:
> I have found what could be a bug in checklink. I have one link on my
> page to http://www.logitech.com/. Checklink reports it as broken (404
> Not Found) but you can check it by yourself, logitech's website is up
> and running. So, anyone has an idea of what's going on ?

The problem is that the web server at www.logitech.com is broken,
HTTP-wise...

Using the HTTP GET method (which your browser uses), you get the
document, but using the HEAD method (which the link checker uses), the
server returns:

31/10 14:37 ot@wasabi ~% HEAD http://www.logitech.com/
404 Not Found
Connection: close
[etc.]

This is wrong, and violates the HTTP specification...
There is, unfortunately, not much we can do on our (linkchecker) side
as long as people use broken servers.

--
Olivier Thereaux - W3C - QA : http://www.w3.org/QA/
http://www.w3.org/People/olivier | http://yoda.zoy.org