Re: Beta: outline feature broken

Terje Bless wrote:

>>http://validator.w3.org:8001/check?uri=http://www.w3.org;outline=1 is
>>said to give an outline of the document but it does not.
>
>To expand slightly on Olivier's comment; the "Outline", "Show Source", and
>"Show Parsetree" options' behaviour has changed such that for validation
>results for Valid pages they will not produce any output. This on the
>theory that these options exist to help authors locate and isolate problems
>in their documents that lead to failing validation.
>
>For Valid documents, the desire would be more to study the resulting tree
>structure etc. and if this is a common occurance we should provide better,
>more targetted, tools to do this rather then overload the Valid results
>page with a lot of technical mumbo jumbo.
>
>That's as a direct result of user feedback on this list BTW.
>
>But as Olivier said, this view is not universally shared among the
>developers and we're looking for beta feedback on this issue...

I definitively agree with the comments that have been posted so far: if the
user took care of _specifically_ requiring the outline, the source or the
parse tree, then they should be displayed, regardless of the validation
result. As long as these options are turned off by default, the Valid
results page will not be overloaded -- especially since you cannot select
these options from the main page, but need to use the detailed.html
interface.

Frédéric