Re: Users guide is out of date

Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:

>The users guide http://validator.w3.org:8001/docs/users.html
>
>is rather out of date, as it mentions only HTML and SGML parsing. There
>is no mention of XML,XHTML, MathML, SVG, etc.
>
>Would you like some help in updating that documentation?

Uhm, "Yes, please"? :-)

>Is there some more recent documentation (besides the source code) that
>could be used to get the facts against which to check such updated
>documentation?

No, I'm afraid that what you find in /docs is what there is. But the
majority of the documentation -- that is relevant -- is out of date in
more, uhm, "generic", ways. IOW, as you mention above, it makes reference
to outdated specifications (ISO-8859-1 instead of UTF-8 or UCS-4, HTML 3.2
and "Cougar" instead of XHTML and other recent specifications, etc.).

As for things to do with what options the Validator accepts, what
prerquisites for local installations are, etc., I may be able to do
something about that bit this weekend (going out of town and will be
offline, so it's an excellent opportunity to work on it).

But if you can spare some time to work on the documentation I'd be
eternally gratefull! Writing docs ain't exactly what I'm best at or relish
the most, if you know what I mean. :-)

--
Editor's note: in the last update,   we noted that Larry Wall would "vomment"
on existing RFCs. Some took that to be a cross between "vomit" and "comment."