Re: Beta: Add Site Tools

From: Olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 13:57:49 +0900
Cc: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
To: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>

On Friday, Oct 25, 2002, at 11:18 Asia/Tokyo, Terje Bless wrote:

> Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> <http://validator.w3.org> URI References should support the same Tools
>> as pages under <http://www.w3.org/>. The tools are documented at e.g.
>> <http://www.w3.org/,tools>; especially ,text would be very useful if
>> you
>> try to copy and paste the validator output to some mail or news
>> message.
>
> AFAICT, the source for those tools (or binaries, for that matter) are
> not
> avialable so we'd have to reimplement this from scratch. I've logged
> it as
> a feature request (tracker number #6) though and will look into ways of
> achieveing this.

It's quite easy to achieve. "comma tools" as we name them are but
redirect rules in our apache config, i.e :
http://www.w3.org/foo,text
redirects to
http://cgi.w3.org/cgi-bin/html2txt?url=http://wwww.w3.org/foo

It would be quite straightforward to use (some of) those on any server.
No need for specific binaries.

--
Olivier Thereaux - W3C - QA : http://www.w3.org/QA/
http://www.w3.org/People/olivier | http://yoda.zoy.org