Re: Ampersands in URLs: Validator conflicts with RFC2396?

From: Lloyd Wood <l.wood@eim.surrey.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:09:04 +0100 (BST)
To: Maarten de Boer <mdeboer@iua.upf.es>
cc: liam@htmlhelp.com, <www-validator@w3.org>, <gerald@w3.org>, <sogm@kmt.hku.nl>, <ot@w3.mag.keio.ac.jp>

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Maarten de Boer wrote:

> I understand that this means that the & is a reserved character in URI's
> and that it's "usage within the URI component is limited to their reserved
> purpose.", which in the case of the & is seperating parameters, and not
> starting an entity!
>
> I hope you will agree with me on the matter (also because I am about to
> bet a huge amount of beer on it with a friend on mine how seems to disagree)
> or explain to me how I am interpreting the RFC incorrectly. Please answer
> me offlist - I am not subscribed.

It's all marca and mccool's fault for picking & as the separator when
designing the cgi forms interface, rather than something safer like :.

Don't get me started on that whole img/object thing, either.

OTOH, if browsers had been written by people who actually read,
understood and insisted on implementing SGML parsing rules, we'd still
be waiting for a functional Mosaic to be released.

L.

<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/><L.Wood@ee.surrey.ac.uk>