Is '=' valid in <a> href attributes?

From: Anand Kumria <wildfire@progsoc.uts.edu.au>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 10:19:53 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-validator@w3.org

I happened to be reading an article in Wired and I thought I'd see how
valid the page was. I was pleasantly surprised to find just one thing
preventing validator.w3.org from pronoucing it good.

As you can see, the validator complains about line 107 where you have:

While the validator will probably complain about the target attribute
being unquoted it is actually complaining about 'section=...". I
couldn't find anything which indicates '=' is bad in an attribute.

I am aware that '&', '<' and '>' need to be used as entities in the
attribute section, should '=' also be?

Have I missed something or is this potentially a validator bug?

 `` We are shaped by our thoughts, we become what we think.
 When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never
 leaves. '' -- Buddha, The Dhammapada