Re: possible missing '>' bug in HTML 4 validator

--- Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com> wrote:
> </tt<br>
>
> is a valid shorthand for
>
> </tt><br>
>
> However, since many browsers have problems with it, I'd recommend checking
> with the WDG HTML Validator (http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/)
> with warnings enabled, or switch to XHTML where the shorthand is not
> allowed.

Liam,

Strange -- I had never seen this shorthand form of tag-folding.  It is very
ugly!

The set of browsers which accept it must be extremely small -- I am pretty
sure the following browsers mishandled it:

    IE 6, winXP
    Netscape 4.7, winXP
    Netscape 6.2, win98
    IE 5.5, win98

Only Mozilla 1.0.1 (WinXP) got it "right".  (Presumeably Netscape 7 would as
well.)  Mozilla is my main browser, which explains why I didn't notice the
problem yesterday.

I'll check out the validator at HTMLHelp.  Thanks for letting me know about
it.

-- Rich
--- The Visible Policy
---- http://dbatitan.home.att.net/vp/