Re: checklink: 406 errors

From: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>
Date: 09 Oct 2002 10:16:45 +0300
To: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Cc: John Russell <ve3ll@rac.ca>, www-validator@w3.org

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 05:58, Martin Duerst wrote:

> >406 is "Not Acceptable", see
> ><http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html#sec10.4.7>.  I'm
> >not sure how this error should be reported, maybe a blurb like:
> >
> >   The server couldn't provide a suitable response matching checklink's
> >   HTTP request headers. Try checking without sending the Accept-Language
> >   header.
>
> I don't think Accept-Language is the only header that can
> cause a 406. So the above text may be misleading.

Yes, other things can cause a 406 too.  But IIRC not sending the
Accept-Language header is the only thing that the user can try to do in
the checklink UI to prevent it from happening.

I'm not quite satisfied with the blurb myself either.  Suggestions
welcome.  Remember that it's printed in the "What to do" column of the
error table.

--
\/ille Skyttä
ville.skytta at iki.fi