Re: new html pages for validator

Brant Langer Gurganus <brantgurganus2001@cherokeescouting.org> wrote:

>John Russell wrote:
>
>>the main page at validator.w3.org does not look pretty when viewed with
>>amaya (w3's own browser/editor).  it also produces parse error message
>>when viewed with amaya.
>
>Using Amaya 6.4+ on Windows XP, I can confirm this.  The parse errors
>that I receive are issues involving CSS:
>
>*** Errors/warnings in http://validator.w3.org/results.css  line 31:
>Invalid selector background:  #eeeeee;
>}"
>  line 33: Not supported selector */"
>*** Errors/warnings in http://validator.w3.org/tips.css
>  line 43: Not supported selector *"
>  line 46: Not supported selector */"
>
>I don't understand the issue with the first item, the background.  I
>think that is a bug in Amaya.  The rest are just telling that the
>universal selector is not supported.

That first error is due to an incorrect nested comment in the CSS file.
Amaya is telling you that it has never heard of a selector called

  "background:\s\s#eeeeee;\n}"

(for readability, I've inserted "\s" for spaces and "\n" for newlines)

The rest of the errors are similar incorrect comments or are caused by
these comments (cascading errors).

All these errors are now fixed in Validator CVS and will be in the next
release.

>As for the on-screen layout:
>The main issue is that float is not supported in Amaya yet.

This is the only issue as far as I can make out; the syntax errors in the
CSS make no difference as far as appearance are concerned. The selectors
and properties it found errors with were discarded/ignored and they were
intended to be ignored, so it made no difference in rendering in this case.

PS: Please CC www-validator or me directly on replies as I'm not
    subscribed to the Amaya list.
--
Terje, you are a sick and twisted individual, and I
think I speak for all of us when I say, "Thank you!"

               -- John Gruber <gruber@barebones.com>