Re: Validator changes: 0_6_0 or HEAD?

Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi> wrote:

>I'm confused about where to commit validator changes at the moment, to
>0_6_0-branch or HEAD?  Are you planning a 0_6_0 -> HEAD merge after
>0.6.1 is out?

Short version: check in to 0_6_0-branch or HEAD depending on whether it's
small fix that should be in the 0.6.1 release or a larger change that is
targetted for "some future version". Yes, I plan to merge 0.6.x onto the
trunk after 0.6.1 is out the door.

Long Version:

I'm planning a 0.6.1 release (hopefully even some time around this weekend)
with mostly just bug fixes. This is what's happening on the
validator-0_6_0-branch.

HEAD is a freeforall (more or less) to add big or distruptive new stuff.
Eventually we'll branch for validator-0_7_0-(branch|release) and any
maintenance releases for that.

Once 0.6.1 is out the door I'll merge validator-0_6_0-branch onto HEAD.
Similarly if we need a 0.6.2 release; including a merge after that too.

The idea is that HEAD is at any given moment almost by definition broken
and in flux. When we want to work towards a release we split off a branch
where we can be as anal as necessary about changes to achieve stability
without hindering new feature work on HEAD.

Merging after a release, instead of doing it concurrently, is just so small
fixes to a release branch don't have to be slowed down by determining how
and if they shoudl be applied to HEAD. Especially since many bug fixes --
both in terms of what they fix and in how they are implemented -- are
specific to the release branch and/or no longer apply to the HEAD.

For /really/ disruptive stuff I envision making experimental branches even
off from HEAD so that you can still work on HEAD while someone is off
redefining the world (typically; the template system or modularizing the
validator).

It's a bit more expensive because you have to spend time merging
periodically, but I think it'll end up being much cleaner in the long run.

--
"Violence accomplishes nothing."   What a contemptible lie!    Raw, naked
 violence  has  settled  more  issues  throughout  history than any other