Can we have the "type" and "encoding" options back?

From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@kph.uni-mainz.de>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:54:42 -0500 (EST)
To: www-validator@w3.org

Hello,

thank you for providing the validation service. I use it since a long
time and find it a very useful tool.

However, I have a few remarks concerning your new design and
functionality:

- The selections for "type" and "encoding" are no longer present on
   the result page, so there seems to be no easy way to revalidate the
   document, e.g. with a different doctype.

- Same for the other options (e.g, "show source").
   A typical scenario: I change one of my pages locally, validate it
   using the "Valid HTML" image and some errors are detected.
   Then I would like to switch on some of the options - but this is no
   longer possible.

- Is it really necessary to use the &ldquo; and &rdquo; entities? Some
   old browsers are not happy with them. Wouldn't simple double quotes
   do?

Best regards
Ulrich Müller

--
Ulrich Mueller, Inst. fuer Kernphysik, Univ. Mainz, D-55099 Mainz
ulm@kph.uni-mainz.de, Phone +49 6131 39-25812, Fax -22964