Re: Weird file name side effect in validating.

On Sat, 23 Nov 2002, Keith Hopper wrote:

> Greetings,
>      The attached tiny file validates as xml (which was expected).  If,
> however, the same file is accidentally renamed as ch2-ex1.html then it does
> not validate corresctly.  This is, to my way of thinking, ridiculous.
> Validtion should be the same irrespective of the file name!

Your attachment was sent to the list as "text/xml", as which it
is fine.

By renaming as .html, you presumably caused it to be sent to the
validator as "text/html".  It is not a valid HTML document.

The name is of no consequence to the validator, but it affects
many webservers, and browsers in the context of file upload.

--
Nick Kew